A discussion with the Guardian Guardian Global Development Professionals Network on the rights of women and girls was hosted by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the UK’s Department for International Development and Save the Children on 21 May 2014.
• The UK’s Secretary of State for International Development, Justine Greening MP
• Co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Melinda Gates
• CEO of the International Planned Parenthood Federation, Tewodros Melesse
• CEO of Save the Children, Justin Forsyth
• Catherine Oluwatoyin Ojo, a Nigerian midwife
The discussion focused on the significance of family planning in giving women and girls control over their futures, female genital mutilation and how to reduce mother and newborn mortality.
Watch a recording of the discussion here.